CHALLENGE YOURSELF. TRANSFORM LIVES.
Join Reality Changers for something totally different! Over the Edge is a one-of-a-kind event where attendees rappel down the side of the Grand Hyatt San Diego hotel.
Space is limited and rappel spots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to registrants who raise at least $1,000. Funds raised will support first-generation youth on their college journeys.
2021 Event Photos
More than 1,000 Over The Edge events have been safely held in North America since 2008. Safety measures include:
- trained and certified staff of industrial ropes experts
- adherence to state and national OHSA laws
- adherence to SPRAT governing procedures
- comprehensive insurance coverage
- site safety plan
- pre- and post-event equipment checks and building inspections
- oversight by a safety advisory board
- participant training and practice
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No, but minors must have their waiver signed by a consenting parent or guardian and adhere to minimum weight restrictions.
Yes, participants must be between 100-300 pounds to safely fit into the harness equipment.
Yes! You will have the opportunity to practice before you go Over the Edge. This training and practice session will help you get used to the harness, rappel device and technique for descending the building!
Yes, when you reach your $1,000 fundraising minimum, we will give you a time period (within an hour) in which your rappel will take place. Please hold the entire day on your calendar, as it may be difficult to accommodate schedule change requests.
Yes, in order to be able to go Over the Edge you must donate or raise at least $1,000. Our fundraising team provides resources and support to help you reach your goal. And your registration fee counts towards that goal.
Fundraising teams are a great way to band together and raise money with your coworkers, organization, or friends! You can create or join a fundraising team when you sign up. (Or reach out to Reality Changers to create one later on.) Each member of a fundraising team must register and create their own individual page.
Please note: Individuals who plan to fundraise as part of a team but do not plan on rappelling DO NOT have to meet the $1,000 fundraising minimum. Teams that work together to meet the $1,000 fundraising minimum may nominate one member to rappel.
When you sign up to participate in Over The Edge, you will have the option to register as an individual, join a team, or create a team. Most people will register as an individual. You can create a team if you have other friends that would like to join you or a group that wants to work together to raise funds (for example, a workplace, alumni group, or service organization). You can always create a team later if you decide to get a group together.
RESOURCES FOR FUNDRAISERS
- Fundraiser Toolkit – Anything and everything you need to raise $1,000 or more
- Social Media Assets – Download graphics that you can use to fundraise on social media.
- Fundraising Webinar – Learn about best practices from Over The Edge Global.
- Instructions for setting up, using, and editing fundraising pages –
PRIZES AND GOODIES
All rappellers will get a special goody bag and t-shirt. Additional prizes will be awarded as follows:
- $1,500+ raised = Receive 2 opportunity drawing tickets for every $500 raised above $1,500
- $2,000 raised = Reality Changers branded water bottle
- $3,000 raised = reserve your preferred rappel time (first-come, first-served)
- Top Three Fundraisers = access to the pre-event VIP party (10/22 at 6:30pm)
- Top Fundraiser Overall = reserve a rappel spot for a friend
Opportunity Drawing Prizes include tickets to the Farmers Insurance Open, restaurant gift cards, tickets to San Diego attractions, wine, golf outings, and more!
BECOME A SPONSOR
This unique and exciting event attracts media coverage and generates buzz! By becoming an Over The Edge sponsor, you can:
- Connect your brand to education and community involvement
- Reach a diverse, engaged audience of 18,000 Reality Changers supporters
- Facilitate staff bonding with team fundraising challenges and rappelling opportunities for employees
- Help local students achieve their college dreams
Contact Dawn Wensel, Vice President of Development for more information about sponsorship opportunities.
THANK YOU SPONSORS
CEO CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
Volunteer for Over The Edge! Volunteers can help with event set-up, registration, photography, rope safety, guiding guests, clean-up and more.