Join Reality Changers for something totally different! Over the Edge is a one-of-a-kind event where attendees make a difference for college-bound youth by rappelling down the side of the Grand Hyatt San Diego hotel.
You can secure your spot by raising at least $1,000 for Reality Changers. Each rappeller will set up a custom online fundraising page and receive tools & coaching from the Reality Changers team. Every dollar raised helps young people achieve their college and career dreams!
Afraid of Heights?
We understand that Over The Edge may push you out of your comfort zone a little bit, but we believe that you can face your fears! At Reality Changers, supporting someone through an intimidating experience is what we do best. Being the first in your family to go to college can be scary. That's why we encourage and support our students through every step of the process.
Over The Edge is an opportunity to challenge yourself, just like our courageous students do every day. No matter what struggles our students may have faced in the past, we know that they are going to succeed. All of our students know our mantra for success: 'tough times never last, but tough times always do.'
If you prefer not to rappel, but would still like to get involved, the following options are also available:
Much like a roller coaster, Over The Edge is an activity that may feel risky, but is actually extremely safe. The equipment used and procedures followed were developed for industrial applications, like construction, rather than recreational rappelling. In fact, thrill-seekers with military or public safety rappelling experience may find Over The Edge a bit too "tame" for their tastes.
More than 1,000 Over The Edge events have been held in North America since 2008, with no serious incidents.
Safety measures include:
- trained and certified staff of industrial ropes experts
- adherence to state and national OHSA laws
- adherence to SPRAT governing procedures
- comprehensive insurance coverage
- site safety plan
- pre- and post-event equipment checks and building inspections
- oversight by a safety advisory board
- participant training and practice
Earn Prizes for Fundraising
Over The Edge participants can win prizes for their fundraising! Every dollar raised supports tutoring, mentorship, college application guidance, professional development support, post-high school advising, and much more.
Meet the following criteria to win prizes:
- $1,000 raised = secure your rappel spot, get a free t-shirt
- $1,500 raised = above, plus earn 1 additional raffle ticket ($25 value)
- $2,000 raised = above, plus Reality Changers travel coffee mug
- $3,000 raised = above, plus reserve your preferred rappel time
- $5,000 raised = above, plus 3 additional raffle tickets
- $7,500 raised = above, plus bracelet made from retired Over The Edge rappelling ropes (limited to first 7 fundraisers to reach $7,500)
- $10,000 raised = above, plus 5 additional raffle tickets
- Top Individual Fundraiser = above, plus reserve a rappel spot for a friend
2022 raffle prizes included a 7-night stay in Mexico, a round of golf and one-night stay at Torrey Pines, restaurant gift cards, wine baskets, museum passes, and more! 2023 raffle prizes coming soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, but minors must have their waiver signed by a consenting parent or guardian and adhere to minimum weight restrictions.
Yes, participants must be between 100-300 pounds to safely fit into the harness equipment.
People with disabilities can participate in Over The Edge. Contact us if you have any questions or to request an accomodation.
Yes! You will have the opportunity to practice before you go Over the Edge. This training and practice session will help you get used to the harness, rappel device and technique for descending the building!
Yes, when you reach your $1,000 fundraising minimum, we will give you a time period (within an hour) in which your rappel will take place. Please hold the entire day on your calendar, as it may be difficult to accommodate schedule change requests.
Yes, in order to be able to go Over the Edge you must donate or raise at least $1,000. Our fundraising team provides resources and support to help you reach your goal. And your registration fee counts towards that goal.
Fundraising teams are a great way to band together and raise money with your coworkers, organization, or friends! You can create or join a fundraising team when you sign up. (Or reach out to Reality Changers to create one later on.) Each member of a fundraising team must register and create their own individual page.
Please note: Individuals who plan to fundraise as part of a team but do not plan on rappelling DO NOT have to meet the $1,000 fundraising minimum. Teams that work together to meet the $1,000 fundraising minimum may nominate one member to rappel.
When you sign up to participate in Over The Edge, you will have the option to register as an individual, join a team, or create a team. Most people will register as an individual. You can create a team if you have other friends that would like to join you or a group that wants to work together to raise funds (for example, a workplace, alumni group, or service organization). You can always create a team later if you decide to get a group together.
Become a Sponsor
This unique and exciting event attracts media coverage and generates buzz! By becoming an Over The Edge sponsor, you can:
- Connect your brand to education and community involvement
- Reach a diverse, engaged audience of 18,000 Reality Changers supporters
- Facilitate staff bonding with team fundraising challenges and rappelling opportunities for employees
- Help local students achieve their college dreams
Contact Dawn Wensel, Vice President of Development for more information about sponsorship opportunities.
Sponsor a Student
“RAPPELLING FELT AMAZING! I WAS INSTANTLY TAKEN ABACK BY HOW GREAT THE VIEW WAS.” - Ikran (Class of 2018)
You can give one lucky Reality Changers student a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! $1,500 gives a future first-gen college graduate the chance to go Over The Edge.
Fundraisers - Use code STUDENTSPONSOR at checkout to waive event registration fees. Toolkits and individualized coaching are provided for online fundraisers.
THANK YOU SPONSORS
THANK YOU PRIZE DONORS
The following organizations donated raffle prizes and giveaways for Over The Edge 2023:
- Fundraising Toolkit
- Sample Graphics for Social Media
- How to Register for Over The Edge and Set Up a Fundraising Page
- How to Edit Your Fundraising Page
- Intro to Your Account
- How to Post Updates to a Fundraising Page
- How to Thank Donors via Email
- How to Create a Fundraising Team
- How to Edit a Team Fundraising Page
Volunteer for Over The Edge! Volunteers can help with event set-up, registration, photography, ropes, guiding guests, clean-up and more.
Note - Being a ropes volunteer requires a two day commitment, August 5th & 6th. More info about being a ropes volunteer can be found here. All other positions require a 2-5 hour shift.
Volunteer Sign Up Form