Supports 8th-12th grade students through weekly tutoring and mentoring. Provides regular academic and occasional mental/emotional support to students with the support of program staff. Tutors must enjoy building trusting relationships with students and serving as positive role models and mentors. Assists program staff with student activities and lessons as needed.
- Two-to-three hours a week, on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
- Length of volunteer service is a minimum of one semester
- Weekly attendance on designated program nights (Tue., Wed. or Thu.)
- Monthly attendance at Mentor Trainings
- Must have reliable transportation to/from office in City Heights and be willing to find alternative transportation, if needed
- Support students’ academic, personal and career development goals
- Support program staff in maintaining a positive environment that encourages studying
- Be open to mentoring and building age-appropriate relationships with students
- Inform program staff and/or Volunteer Manager in a timely manner when a student requires additional support or resources
- Maintain regular communication with Volunteer Manager and program staff
If a tutor absolutely cannot make it to tutoring (e.g., emergencies) the tutor must notify the Volunteer Manager as soon as possible to provide staff sufficient time to try to find a substitute tutor.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Pass Live Scan background check prior to onboarding
- Complete required training and consistently uphold Reality Changers’ values, policies and procedures
- This position may require moderate to rigorous physical activity, including, but not limited to: running, walking, standing and sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time, and lifting, carrying, or moving around objects up to 25lbs.
Reality Changers is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.