Reality Changers is a dynamic non-profit organization that prepares youth to become first-generation college graduates and agents of change in their communities. We are looking for a Storytelling Intern to join our passionate and tight-knit team, based in City Heights, San Diego, CA.
The Storytelling Intern will work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to create a booklet of program participant profiles. This position is a great opportunity for a strong writer who is interested in learning about marketing, communications, or journalism.
3 months. After the initial 3 months, the internship may be renewed based on performance and mutual interest from the intern and the organization.
Approximate Time Commitment
3-8 hours/week. Intern must have flexibility to meet with Reality Changers team members during the day and interview subjects as they are available (might be daytime, evenings, or weekends)
Flexible. Intern may work remotely or in Reality Changers’ City Heights office. Interviews will be conducted throughout San Diego County.
- Coordinate with current high school and college students as well as college graduates to set up interviews.
- Conduct interviews. Meet with subjects in person or virtually.
- Take or collect high resolution photos of interview subjects.
- Transcribe interviews.
- Write short (100-300 word) profiles of interview subjects.
- Follow up with interview subjects to clarify information and receive final approval.
- Optional: format final booklet using graphic design software.
- Independent and self motivated. Able to organize multiple on-going communications with different program participants and to problem-solve when participants are not responding.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with camera phone photography.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to make interview subjects feel at ease.
- Strong understanding and appreciation of Reality Changers’ mission and culture.
Benefits to Intern
- Gain experience creating real marketing content for a nonprofit organization.
- Learn from the Marketing & Communications Manager.
- Meet Reality Changers participants and hear inspiring life stories.
- Optional: learn or expand graphic design skills using Adobe Indesign or Canva.
- Current college student or recent graduate. Prefer candidates majoring in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or related field.
- Basic G Suite Skills (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Must have a laptop and smartphone. Smartphone should be able to take photos and record audio. Laptop should be able to participate in and record virtual meetings.
- Preferred to have reliable transportation (to meet subjects for interviews and photos)