Reality Changers is a dynamic non-profit organization that prepares youth to become first-generation college graduates and agents of change in their communities. We are looking for an Events Intern to join our passionate and tight-knit team, based in downtown San Diego, CA.
The Events Intern will work with the Development Manager to plan and execute a major fundraising event in Spring 2024. This position is a great opportunity for someone interested in development/fundraising, event planning, hospitality, and/or nonprofit management.
4 months, January – April, with a possible extension to the end of May
Approximate Time Commitment
6 – 12 hours/week, with more hours possible in the two weeks before and after the event. Some evening and weekend work will be required, especially the week of the event.
Intern must reside in San Diego County and have access to reliable transportation to attend in-person meetings and be on site to help with the event. Some work may be conducted remotely.
- Support with Silent Auction
- Solicitation and coordination of in-kind donations
- Tracking asks & checking in on follow-ups, thank yous, etc.
- Crafting and brainstorming for baskets/packages
- Package descriptions & photos
- Assist with event planning, including planning activities, creating schedules, generating supply lists, and assembling and coordinating supplies
- Support Development Manager with committee meetings, including taking meeting minutes
- Support promotions and volunteer outreach efforts, including posting events to online listings and targeted outreach
- Research vendors and initiate contact to ask for quotes
- Support with follow up and thank yous after the event
- Optional: under guidance from the Associate Director of Marketing & Communications, use templates to create social media and email content
- Day of event:
- Support with event set up
- Support with volunteer coordination
- Assist Associate Director of Marketing & Communications with stage management
- Take photos and video
- Strong desire to learn; flexibility and adaptability
- Strong initiative and critical thinking skills
- Comfortable with external communications such as cold calls
- Professional demeanor
- Desired skills:
- Creative eye for design
- Comfortable with spreadsheets; basic data management
- Event management
- Promotion & marketing
Benefits to Intern
- Gain experience with planning and executing a major fundraising event for a well-respected nonprofit
- Learn from the Development Manager and Associate Director of Marketing and Communications
- Network with local companies and gain skills soliciting donations and building relationships
- Staff can provide intern with reference letters upon successful completion of the internship
- Current college student or recent graduate. Ideal for a candidate majoring in hospitality, nonprofit management, business, or marketing and communications
- Basic G Suite Skills (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Must have a laptop and smartphone. Smartphone should be able to take photos and record audio. Laptop should be able to participate in and record virtual meetings.
- Preferred to have reliable transportation (to pick up silent auction items and travel to the event location)
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Melanie Stanek, Volunteer & Outreach Manager: email@example.com