At Reality Changers, we believe that it is in challenging times that the power of community is needed most of all.
Like many of you, we have been closely monitoring COVID-19 and taking a series of precautionary measures in accordance with public health guidelines. The well-being of our students, staff, and community remains our top priority as new developments occur each day.
Below is specific action we are taking effective Monday, March 16:
- We are implementing remote work options for all staff members and assembling numerous resources to help our organization adjust to this new reality. We will continue to assess and make arrangements based on what is best for our team, and what is recommended by the CDC and public officials.
- Starting on Monday, our programs will be adjusted to allow for minimal contact while also providing service. See below for more details.
As more and more schools shift to online learning and implement closures, we are especially aware of the needs of students with fewer financial resources, limited or no access to technology, and those experiencing housing or food insecurity.
We aim to continue being a resource for our youth and families during this challenging time. We trust that these precautions will help all of us to stay safe and healthy.
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility over the coming weeks.
Tamara Y. Craver
President & CEO
Last updated April 2
Reality Changers is focused on balancing public health needs with doing the organization’s essential work, communicating with families and staff, and updating contingency plans as the COVID-19 outbreak evolves. Our office will remain closed until further notice. Please continue to monitor this page for ongoing updates and resources.
- All regular programming at all sites has been cancelled, including ACT prep.
- As of March 30, we will be supporting our students virtually in the following ways:
- Leadership Development: 5-6pm on Tuesdays
- College Knowledge: 5-6pm on Wednesdays
- Academic Development: 5-6pm on Thursdays
- Tutoring: 6:30-8pm available Tuesdays and Thursdays in Science, Math and English
- Our tutors will also double as academic mentors and will be checking-in with students 2-3 times per week to ensure they are keeping up with their classwork.
- Students needing assistance or resources can make an appointment directly with their Achievement Coach.
College Apps Academy:
- All Academy instructors have been instructing virtually since March 16.
- Students needing assistance can continue to make appointments directly with instructors.
- Students needing assistance can make phone or video call appointments directly with Alumni Network staff. You can reach out to the following staff memebers:
- Arantxa A. Sanchex: Arantxa@RealityChangers.org
- Brenda Trujillo Sanchez: Brenda@RealityChangers.org
- Gerardo Jaimes: Gerardo@RealityChangers.org
- Patty D. Mendoza: Patty@RealityChangers.org
- The Alumni Network team will be hosting virtual live sessions for high school seniors to introduce the team, what support is available, and how they can access that support. Dates and times will be announced in the coming weeks.
Resources: (We will continue to update this list as we learn of resources, free services and more)
Employment & Insurance
- Employment Development Department: federal information for workers
- Insurance Carrier Responses to COVID-19 (PDF)
- United Way of San Diego County: San Diego Worker Assistance Initiative
- SDIRC Immigrant Relief Fund
- 211: Emergency Food directory
- Known food sites open during school closures
- Expensify will reimburse up to $50 for grocery purchases for people with SNAP/EBT benefits
Technology & Utilities
- SDG&E suspends service disconnections for nonpayment as part of COVID-19 response
- Comcast is offering 2 months free to new Internet Essentials customers in response to COVID-19
Other Information Sources